Isolating and Organising? If you’ve found yourself organising your home over the past few weeks, no doubt you’ll have plenty of items you’ve decided you no longer need.
Instead of letting them collect dust in the garage (or let’s be honest… the car boot), check out some ideas below on how you can move your once treasured items on to those who can utilise them better.
Unfortunately, most charity organisations have temporarily stopped accepting donations but below is a list of places to keep in mind once things are back to normal.
As a courtesy, please always check these places are accepting donations before filling the car and starting your donation dash!
- Donations Bins
Please do the right thing and do not leave donations if they will not fit inside the bin. It costs Charities a lot of money to dispose of items that have been broken by people/weather/animals
If you’re a Penrith local these are the two active bins I’m aware of but I’m sure there are more!
- Inside Penrith Westfield carpark, outside the entry leading up to JB HiFi
- Cambridge Park Coles & Overlander Hotel
2. Local Pay it Forward Groups on Facebook are a great resource. Simply search and post with the items you have, you can sift through replies this way and choose who you would prefer your donation to go to.
3. Post for free onto Facebook Marketplace or Local Community Page! Can almost guarantee someone will pickup within the day. I usually just post to say they’re out the front, first in best dressed as I don’t have time to put things on hold.
4. Linen Closet Clean Out
Donate old towels, doonas, pillows etc to Animal Rescues
- Rescue Resource on Facebook have drop off points throughout Sydney
- Hawkesbury Pound
- Kemps Creek Animal Welfare League
- RSPCA (for more information click here)
Local preschools are usually happy to accept anything craft related, scrap paper, paint, fabric etc. We recently donated some outgrown play kitchen utensils for role playing in the older rooms. Other ideas for donations include;
– Dress up items, multicultural wear etc
– Pegs & clothes drying racks for drying artwork
– Musical instruments
– Plastic bags for sending home soiled clothes
6. Books & Magazines
– Local Library
– Community Library
– Retirement Homes
– Preschools & Community Centres
Penrith Local Donation Points
Please contact these organisations before dropping off donations as they have limited space and resources.
- Mama Lanas
- Nepean Women’s Shelter
- Salvos Stores Penrith
- Australian Red Cross Penrith
- Save The Children Op Shop – Station St Penrith
- Cancer Wellness Support – High St Penrith